Monday, May 6, 2013

The Gas Station in the Atlantic


To make use of an overly used cliché bloggers line…"It's been a long time since I've posted."  This is true. However, I haven't felt the need until now. We finished up the Caribbean season and are in the middle of a crossing to the other side of the Atlantic. I guess there's some stuff to write about there, but, basically it's the same trip that I made in November of 2012…just in the opposite direction. There's more to be posted about the last month and a half of my contract regarding people, places, and more people, I guess. I'm going to wait until I arrive in England to start those posts, though. What's important now in my mind is our stop at The Azores after 5 straight sea days.

The Azores are Portugese islands that are located about 2/3rds of the way across the Atlantic from North America to Europe. Formed by volcanos, these islands are famous for seafood, sugar beets, and a pair of inland lakes surrounded by legend. The lakes were actually formed in mountain craters created by collapsed volcanos and are now filled with fresh collected rain water. The twin lakes, located directly adjacent to one another, are colored differently and are located at the bottom of a beautiful valley. Since it was our (and likely mine) only stop during our Atlantic crossing, a group of friends and I decided to take a guided tour of the island and the famous lakes.

After an amazing morning and early afternoon walking tour and meal, we boarded the tour bus and took off for the afternoon. The tour was perfect for me. A modern bus with air conditioning and comfortable seats. A short tour with a focused goal: to see the lakes and get back to the ship on time for sail away. The tour was awesome. I saw some incredible views and got another chance to hang with some amazing people, some of whom I won't see again for a long time. More on that later and the transformation of this contract and it's effect on the Walkabout and my personal journey. For now, enjoy some terrific views that I had the opportunity to capture with my camera and iPad. You know…sometimes it's true…I have the greatest job in the world.

View from the first photo stop on the tour


Group shot

The girls: Marissa, Suzie, and Shannon




The Hook 'Em Horns

Twin lakes. Legend says that they were formed from
the tears of a priest and princess crying while 
saying goodbye.

Dude Pic. Sam, me, Beau, and Dustin.

Group pic in front of the lakes. What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment