Friday, August 23, 2013

Photo Post - Malaga, Civitivecchia, La Spezia, Gibraltar, Southampton

Being back in Malaga was a trip for me. When did my first contact on Adventure of the Seas, Malaga was my sign-on and home port for 3 weeks. Lots of memories for me here. My first trip to Europe, ever. Upon my return, I checked out some old hang spots, grabbed a cup of coffee, had a bit of pizza and took a picture of a shopping area and some shade-providing-thingys that I always thought were cool.


See the curved shade line? Makes the return to the
ship walk a little more fun.


Civitivecchia

My first port in Italy. My first experience of Italy. Actually, really turned me off. I found almost every person I met there to be generally rude. This must be a isolated experience since I've heard so many great things about Europe and Italy especially. I can't wait to get back there and work on changing my impression. In spite of all that negativity, Dustin and I had a good time eating local cuisine and trying some limoncello.

There is old stuff in Europe. 

Deserted afternoon street. Why stay open
during the busiest shopping hours? What's the
point of that?

I got the 4 cheese pizza. Awesome.

Dustin enjoying and mocking local
culture at the same time. 

Always represent UM. Go Blue!

Big guy. Tiny gelato. Tiny spoon.


Limoncello. Liquor made from lemon rinds. Not
my favorite, but, at least I tried it!


La Spezia

My second port in Italy. My second experience of Italy. A polar opposite to my first experience (Civitiveccia) here, La Spezia was great. Beautiful, secluded, quiet, and the people were largely friendly and welcoming. Maybe this was because it was Sunday and everything was closed (except for ONE restaurant)!

Just a short walk from the pier.

Gardens, gardens, gardens.

More gardens.

Cool pedestrian bridge.

For some reason, I take pictures of statues.

Local theater.

More old European stuff. The wall, not the bikes.

How old is this?

Dustin prepping for fresh cooked seafood!

Pasta carbonara with seafood.

Pro tip: always get dessert.

The owner's dog with a face only a mother could love.

Random.


Gibraltar

My time here was quite short. After sleeping in (after a late night gaming/music session onboard, no doubt) I jumped off the ship to grab a quick bit of internet time. Still had a chance to take a couple of snapshots, though. One of "The Rock" and a statue commemorating a wartime evacuation of Gibraltar. More investigation to come soon!


Pretty sure they mean the evacuation of Gibraltar. I'm 
this is not a statue of "Gibraltarians" being evacuated.
Trust me, no one wants to see that. Think about it.


Southampton

Not much to say here. I wandered around aimlessly and unsupervised in port for about 3 hours during my first turnaround here. Apparently, I went the wrong direction when I left the ship and therefore missed most of the shopping and internet offerings here. Things were so bad, I ate at T.G.I Fridays. Yikes. However, I did think this picture of the port entrance (with the cloud break in the background) was pretty cool. Snapped this pic with my iPhone 5. #shamelessnamedrop


No comments:

Post a Comment