Thursday, September 6, 2012

I Saw The Sign


One of the great things about working on a cruise ship is the diversity among crew members and passengers. During my contract here on the Majesty we have never had less than 850 crew members onboard at one time. Those crew members never fail to hail from less than 50 different countries. All told, including passengers, at any given time there are roughly 3,500 people onboard coming from 60+ different nationalities. 

Our current captain, during his speech to the guests at the Captain's Cocktail Hour, advocates sending a representative from Royal Caribbean Crew to the United Nations in order to teach the world about working together in harmony. While I think that is commendable and a little funny, I prefer the perspective of one of our headliner entertainers, juggling comic Steve Carte who says, "There are over 50 nationalities in the crew onboard, most with their own language. We all get along because…well…nobody really understands each other."

The official language onboard is English. While it's easy to get your point across in person most times using English, it's very clear that not everyone onboard has an exemplary grasp on the finer details of the language. This extends to the signs that are posted around the ship as you can see below.

Let me make one thing clear before you continue reading. I find these signs humorous. While I'm able to see the comical nature of these signs, I am in no way ignoring the fact that one may read my blog and find plenty of opportunities to point out that I may be a fine example of the pot calling the kettle black here, so to speak. Those who live in glass houses and all that jazz. What can I say? Pobody's nerfect…and I think these signs are funny.



I took this picture in Nassau several months ago. Shrewd advice, to be sure.


I stopped here in Key West and asked if they had any information on snorkeling.



All musicians received this note as a reminder to administrate our 'Kronos' (ship's time card, basically). I get the central theme here, but, it could use some punctuation, no?



So many things to point out here. Basically, be reminded that proofreading is important. Also, I'm a little OCD about formatting (notice the comma) and about whether food "could" be taken out of the crew mess.



The ghost of tenses past. I find it hard to keep this door close at all times. Downright impossible, really.




Ah…the singular plural. Also, I like the details about what 'might' happen after I might get injured.



Safety is your health. Truer words were never spoken more clearly and stuff.



I just…I've got nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment