Monday, May 28, 2012

Taking stock at the midpoint


It's roughly the midpoint of my contract here on Majesty of the Seas and by coincidence it's Memorial Day weekend (for myself and the other 21 Americans onboard) and with that comes one of the greatest spectacles in all of sports - The Indianapolis 500 Mile Race. Even though my seat this year is not as close as I was last year (I was sitting with my cousin Jeb in the bleachers of Turn 4 when the leader Hildebrand hit the wall on the final turn of the race and ended up finishing 3rd), the race is on ESPN and so, I'm enjoying it from the comfort of my cabin. Ian has never seen the race, so, I'm filling in the gaps for him with the little knowledge that I do have. Predictably, he's asleep already just after the start. This year I'm rooting for Tony Kanaan. A veteran driver who has led the 500 seven times, but, has never won. Let's go, TK!

I have never been a big fan of auto racing. I have a general knowledge of the sport and can hold my own in a short conversation about racing, but, I'm not a "have to watch the race this weekend" type of person. This race is different this year, though. Seeing these images on tv of the track, the crowd, the race, the weather, the golf course, the city of Indianapolis…it brings back a lot of memories for me. Just one year ago I was living in Indy, married, raising a family, working at ITT, playing gigs at night and on the weekends, playing golf, and had a circle of friends that I saw on a regular basis. It never even entered my mind that my life path would alter drastically.

Wow, how things can change in a year. 

Now my daily view is made up of the sun and surf of the Caribbean. I play trombone for a living, practice all the time, it's been months since I've been cold, and communications with my circle of friends on land happens though strictly electronic means. My role as father and husband has been replaced by someone else and I'm strictly taking care of myself. Some days that's a blessing. Sometimes though, like when I'm watching the Indy 500 today, I wonder what it would be like if I was still living in that other life. That world seems still close to me at this point. I feel like I'm on vacation from that life plan. Still feel as if I might step off the ship and go back home to married life, Ted, ITT, and The Jazz Kitchen somehow. 

Not sure what all this means, really. But, it's part of the ship life for me, so I'm sharing it here. 

So, in summary, I spend this Memorial Day weekend away from family, barbecues, auto racing, crowds, golf, and (perhaps most importantly) junk food. I do miss one thing from Memorial Day last year...the corn dogs at the Brickyard. Heart stoppers, to be sure, but SO GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment