Thursday, June 28, 2012

Another random thought post


I've been watching Fringe - a new TV show that I've been pointed to by the saxophone player onboard, Ryan. I noticed that the background music for a "character development" scene between the female lead and her sister is a cover of the song "Just Like Heaven" by The Cure. You can't fool me, producers of Fox television sci-fi dramas…you can't get one past me even if it's a slowed down, country-fied, Lillith Fare version of an 80's pop tune. Ha! I have good ears.

--

Speaking of Fringe, one of the main characters of the show bears significant resemblance to my roommate Ian. The fictitious character Walter Bishop is a gifted and peculiar scientist who conducts experiments on "fringe" areas such as telekinesis, dark matter, teleportation, artificial intelligence, and precognition. He is a quirky individual who in addition to using an extensive vocabulary including words like: splendid, brilliant, and sadly; also employs humans as test subjects for his experiments. I guess the main similarity between the two of them is in the vocabulary. The main difference, among many, is that where Walter Bishop was incarcerated in a mental institution for 17 years, Ian was not. Although, Ian did spend a year or so in England almost exclusively practicing trumpet and drinking proper English ale in a place that he refers to as "The Trumpet Monastery"…so…that's almost the same thing.

--

Seeing some progress with the diet and exercise regimen. Lost 20 pounds so far and clothes are definitely hanging off of me. Finding healthy food to eat is easy onboard mainly because I don't care for most of the food in the crew mess. Salads, lean proteins and quality carbs are readily available. Bland, but, available. 

The best part is, I seem to be enjoying these workouts more this time around. Plus, I'm working out seven days per week, instead of taking a day off like I used to. I'm doing the "extra" workout because I want to. Finally, I'd much rather do "Insanity" workouts instead of running or any other type of cardio. I feel like they workout my legs while providing crazy intense cardio at the same time. It's pretty cool and I'm excited to see the results after a few months of this routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment