Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I Love A Parade


Well, the NBA has crowned their champion and his name is LeBron James. LBJ and the Miami Heat won the championship (finally) last week and there was much rejoicing on the ship and in the city of Miami. Personally, I'm not a James fan and definitely not a fan of Dwyane Wade (Miami's other superstar) either. However, I respect their basketball ability and…well…I like a good party, so, it's nice to have the "local" team win this year. 

This past Monday the city of Miami gathered downtown to celebrate their champions with a parade ending at the American Airlines Arena and an indoor celebration for ticket holders. Since the arena is right next to the Port of Miami where the Majesty docks, there was much consternation onboard about the ability of crew members to get downtown with all of the extra party traffic. I heeded none of the warnings and anxious rumors and promptly made my way off the ship anyway. I wanted to see the parade.

It's true - there was a lot of traffic. However, I avoided it all by walking downtown and back (about 25 minutes one way). Before the parade, I rehydrated at Starbucks with a bottle of water and a nice slice of banana walnut bread. The parade started at 11 am, so, I stepped out to the street and snapped a few pictures.

One strange thing I noticed about the crowd was that I was the most attractive person there. This never happens to me. It was as if the spectators were completely made up of extras from the "People of Walmart" website. Yikes.

Anyway - I took a few pictures. It was fun. I did see Pat Riley and LeBron James, but, didn't recognize anyone else. Congrats to Miami, I guess. Maybe this parade will be in Detroit next year?

Pre-parade line up.

Arena view from the bridge to the ship.

I like tall buildings.

The crowd awaiting the team.



Color Guard were the only ones walking.

Weird Transformer guy. Not sure how he got in the parade.
Also, easier to take a pic of him than LeBron.

Players.

More players.

LBJ hiding from the cameras.

I am swarmed by people going in the opposite direction.

Cool brass band playing "Celebration.'

That camera operator has the best job in the world
right now. I don't care how hot it is.

Cheerleaders, I presume?

Is it possible that there was a pageant for this parade?

No comments:

Post a Comment