Tuesday, July 3, 2012

(Man vs.) Food Post Version 2.0!


Ryan (sax player on board the Majesty) and I went to check out a Miami legend recently. Sarussi Cafe and Restaurant has been making "Miami's Biggest and Best Cuban Sandwich" for over 40 years. Located about a 20 minute cab ride from our port this was an opportunity too good to pass us by. 

The Sarussi Cuban Sandwich is 16 inches long and loaded with ham, pork, pickles, mozzarella cheese, potato sticks, and Sarussi's Special Sauce. Rumor has it that the special sauce is so secret even the owner of the restaurant doesn't know what's in it. Anyway, the sandwich has been featured on the television show "Man vs. Food." 

Ryan and I split one of the gigantic sandwiches and each had a Coke. Total bill was $30 bucks. The atmosphere of Sarussi's was great. Clean, modern diner feel with a menu that was in Spanish with English translations (not the other way around).

I can report that Ryan and I thought that the meal more than lived up to the hype. Not only was it a big sandwich, but, it was also very tasty. The sauce makes the difference (I'd sampled a Cuban sandwich a few months ago at a different Miami restaurant) and put this sandwich in a class by itself. In terms of size, I definitely could've eaten the entire 16 inch sandwich by myself, but, I don't think I would've enjoyed it as much. Besides, I already plan to have to work out twice today in order to try and burn off as many of these calories as possible…and I only had half of the entire thing.

If you are ever in Miami and have a chance to check out Sarussi, I would highly recommend it. In the sandwich category, it finishes a close second to the grand champion of sandwiches: Papa Roux in Indianapolis.

Me out front.

The menu boasts about the sandwich.

Nice feel inside. We were practically alone in there.

Now...all of this is one 16" sandwich.  We had it split
in half (and then quarters, I guess) for the 2 of us.
(Coke can for scale).

I ain't afraid of food!

16" of Cuban sandwich goodness!

Ryan gettin' after it!

I finished my half too quick for a photo.

Ryan did finish. Slowed a bit at the end, but, 
he ate it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment