Friday, March 30, 2012

It finally happened (and in a BIG way)


Well, I finally hit my head on the ceiling on the ship. Only, I didn't just hit my head. I've done that before. I do that occasionally at 6'9" tall. This time, I CRUSHED my head. I've been waiting for this for a while. I'm actually surprised that it didn't happen earlier. I think the ship has 7' ceilings. I fit standing straight up without a problem almost anywhere. I do have to watch out for water sprayers (for fire) that stick down from the ceiling. Also, I need to watch out going through doorways. This was my downfall. I was stepping through a doorway on my way to lunch this afternoon and I came up from my duck too quickly SMASHING my head at full speed. It's amazing how hard you can hit your head, how fast you can get going just by walking. I'm fine (calm down, Mom). More embarrassed than anything, really.

This week's 4 day cruise included some extra passengers. 2 sign language interpreters were cruising and  assisting some people onboard. I really like sign language. I wish I knew more sign. Especially because I took some classes in college and most of that didn't make the download to the permanent memory on my internal hard drive. Anyway, I always relish the opportunity to see this language "spoken." Watching a sign language interpreter makes speeches and group trainings more interesting. I have never seen someone signing music lyrics, though. That was a new one on me. Usually, signers are a few words/phrases behind, which definitely was happening during some of the songs. However, during the songs that the interpreters knew, it was neat to see them signing right on time with the lyrics instead of listening and translating. Very cool.

Something very rare happened to me in Key West yesterday. I went in a shoe store and found something in my size. I bought myself some "shandals" on the spot. Ventilated and lightweight like a sandal, but, protection of a shoe. Next up, buying myself a helmet I can wear around the ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment