Friday, March 16, 2012

The statute of limitations on the coolness of the trombone


We do 2 different production shows onboard the Majesty. On our 4 day cruise, the guests have the opportunity to see both shows. During the production show, I'm located with the rest of the orchestra in front of the stage to the right behind plastic sound barriers. When we play the show and I'm facing the performers much like the audience is. I sit closest to the plastic sound guard and am often times sitting right next to guests. 

This past week Tuesday at the first of our shows, I was playing and got the feeling that someone was staring at me. During some rests I looked over to my left and saw a young girl about 6 looking right at me. She gave me a big smile and a "thumbs up" gesture. I returned both and went back to playing. After the show, she approached the pit orchestra area with her Mom and 2 younger sisters. After I met Mya and her family, she explained that she really liked the music and the way the trombone sounds. I played a little tune for her and she loved it. They live in Tampa, but, are originally from Russia.

Later in the cruise, on Thursday, we were doing our "farewell" show. We perform the second of our two production shows and the crew from the ship says goodbye to the passengers. After the show, Mya and family came up to say goodbye. I asked Mya what her favorite part of her vacation was and she said, "The shows." I said that was great and that I was pretty sure that the singers and dancers were over by the door if she wanted to meet them. She immediately took off for the door dragging her Mom by the hand behind her.

Go figure. Trombone is only cool for a short time. I can relate to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment