Thursday, April 12, 2012

Random thoughts from the ship


Not much to report from the past week. I've been practicing a lot and working on an arrangement or two. Some things occurred to me recently, so, I wrote them down.

There is a main hallway in the crew area of the ship. It's runs along the port side on deck 1 and is where people can walk from completely aft to completely forward in a straight line. It is called "The I-95." This is also the name one of of the main highway that runs through Miami to the port. I-95 is also the name of the photo identification that crew members must display when visiting US Ports. I thought this was interesting. Upon reading the above paragraph…perhaps I was wrong to think that.

I'm able to watch The Masters golf tournament on the ship, but, not the NHL playoffs. No TiVo or DVR for either one. I find commercials excruciating.

My server today in the Key West mexican restaurant/internet cafe is from Kentucky. Very near Harlan County which serves as the setting for "Justified," one of my favorite tv shows/Elmore Leonard creations.

It's important for me to make sure that music doesn't become "just a job" for me. I'm concentrating on finding ways to feed my creative side.

I learned a little bit about the sport of cricket the other day. I feel the same way about cricket now that I do about auto racing. Not my favorite sport in the world, but, I understand the appeal.

My musical goal is to sound like a combination of John Allred and Hank Mobley. Work currently in progress. Check back later for further developments.

Blair said something funny the other day regarding food in the crew mess...
"If you're not gonna eat good, you might as well eat healthy."

Tony says pretty funny things all the time. I wrote some of them down. They're even better when I read them back to him out loud. Here are some highlights:
"That's what I did back then. Everybody was doing it. I didn't really think they were jive, its just that people try to depreciate things that are cool."

Me: "How did you like my arrangement?"
Tony: "Well, during the first half I felt like quitting music entirely"

(After Predator removes mask at end of Aliens v. Predator)
"Now why did he have to yell like that? Doesn't he know that she'll get scared?"

(About movies and tv)
"You don't watch what I watch. I don't watch what you watch. This marriage is over."

(Playing poker)
"Ah HA! Just kidding, I don't have shit. That's not true, I've got something. Just not much…what!?"

"I said all that? That doesn't sound like me."

2 comments:

  1. Interstate 95 (I-95) is the main highway on the East Coast of the United States,[2] running parallel to the Atlantic Ocean from Maine to Florida and serving some of the most populated urban areas in the country, including Boston, Providence, New Haven, New York City, Newark, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Richmond, Savannah, Jacksonville and Miami. It is the longest north–south route of the Interstate Highway System, and supersedes older U.S. Highways, mainly U.S. Route 1. From wikipedia

    I miss you Carl...

    ReplyDelete