Saturday, November 17, 2012

Port-Oh-Feeno


I did not see myself here a year ago. A year ago I spent Thanksgiving with some friends in the Indianapolis area. My personal life had gone off the rails just a few months earlier and I was lucky to have so many people in my life to help me pick up the pieces. 

But, let's not rehash all that stuff. Lately I've been thinking about this quote:

"You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?"

"No."

"They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory."

I thought about Thanksgiving 2011 with my good friends recently during a night off onboard. I usually work seven days a week onboard. I normally work at night and, as I've described in the previous post, the work can be pretty mentally taxing. By some happy accident, one of the entertainers onboard did not use the orchestra which gave us a night off. To celebrate this occasion we made reservations at the onboard Italian restaurant, Portofino. Cruise ships are famous for their cuisine and this evening didn't disappoint. I had the following:

Risotto al Gamberetti
Sauteed prawns atop creamy, saffron scented Aborio rice and a garnish of fried onions.

Insalata alla Cesar
Cesar salad.

Bistecca alla Fiorentina
Char-grilled T-bone with fresh haricots verts (green beans)

Triamisu
Dessert served in a chocolate cup.

The meal was exquisite and accompanied by amazing Chilean red wine, terrific cold cheese with olives appetizer, and authentic, genuine company. Eight of the nine orchestra members were there and we had a great time. Lots of laughs, unparalleled food and service, and a wonderful respite from having to be on our best concentration for the evening.

Again, I did not see myself here at year ago. However, this meal reminded me of times at home spent with in good company with comforting food. I miss everyone at home very much. I miss having a life with direction very much. However, there are some times (and this was one of them) when I'm glad to be out here.

This is not the only time I've felt this way. It's just one of the times I've chosen to document on this blog. Suggestion: try to find time to break bread with close friends and cherish that. In my estimation, it's time and money well spent.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, brother. I'm glad your band breaks bread together . . . sometimes they don't.

    ReplyDelete