Monday, November 26, 2012

Quick Hits


Saw Skyfall today in San Juan. It's the new James Bond movie and it's getting rave reviews. I would have to say that the movie didn't really do it for me. I was pretty bored most of the time. No spoilers here, but, maybe this is a sign that I'm getting a bit old for action movies. Not so much old in age terms, but, I've seen so many formulaic action movies that I'm just not that entertained by them anymore. It's kind of like watching football for me. Unless I'm invested in one of the teams (University of Michigan or Detroit, for instance) I usually don't watch. It all seems the same to me. Maybe if I was more invested in Daniel Craig as Bond I'd be more interested. Where's Roger Moore when you need him?

--

I may be turning into a beach person. I've spent two days in St. Maarten so far on this itinerary and they have been great. I normally don't enjoy the beach that much, but, for some reason it's starting to grow on me. I've just been enjoying getting out there swimming and hanging with friends mostly. The last time I was there I put on some sunscreen and soaked up some rays a little bit. The company does make it better. The folks on my ship like to hang out and have a good time. Also, the beach is in very close proximity to the bar…always a good thing.

--

Speaking of bars...what is the deal with loud music in bars? It's really obnoxious. Usually there are very few to no people dancing and the DJ is behind his/her laptop listening to headphones. The DJ usually seems completely clueless to the environment in the bar. The rest of the patrons are sitting around screaming at each other to be heard. When the conversation inevitably falters (because it's just too much damn work to scream at someone sitting next to you to be heard) most people resort to "chair dancing" and just staring at each other. I'm not even complaining about the choice of music. I'm not a big fan of bar/dance music these days (that comes as a shock, I'm sure), but, even if it was Sonny Rollins it would be too loud.

--

A friend of mine onboard just turned 38 years old over the weekend. I'll be 37 in January and he and I were discussing these "milestone birthdays" the other night. Here's where I'm at right now with the whole birthday thing: I don't feel old. It just seems that everyone around me is young.

--

I'm not a big cigar person. I have one or two a year, usually on special occasions. They are fun to smoke sometimes, but, I almost always regret them the following morning when I wake up feeling like I licked an ashtray the night before. Doesn't seem to matter how many times I brush my teeth. The orchestra occasionally hangs out in the cigar bar onboard after easy gig nights. We were up there a few weeks ago and the guys were enjoying Trinidad (a Cuban cigar that Castro gifted to visiting diplomats) and Monte Cristo punched cigars. I also tried some fancy alcohol including: Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12, and Remy XO cognac. It was pretty much a new experience for me and for that I'm grateful. However, is it wrong that I'd rather have chicken wings and beer?

2 comments:

  1. There is not a damn thing wrong with chicken wings and beer. It's like, some days I want nothing more than to sip on a smooth flavory bourbon, some days it's about a pretzel, brat, and a hefty bier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with wings and beer...unless you ask my waistline! :)

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete